Description of contempory views (scanned photos) of house William C. Hebbe built in the Potter Community of Garfield Co. OK.
Picture captions by Jerry Starr, March 2002.
|Hebhouse1||House built by W. C. Hebbe at Potter Community, Garfield County, Oklahoma. The building faces west. What can be seen in this picture was added onto the original 1894 structure a few years after the Hebbe family's arrival.|
|Hebhouse2||View from the northwest of the Hebbe house. Almost all of the leaning visible here occurred since the mid-80's.|
|Hebhouse3||North side of Hebbe house. The room on the east side, now nearly collapsed, was a bathroom. It is believed to be part of the original 12' x 20' house built in 1894 (with its front door on the south side), and that was expanded a few years later by adding the larger structure that faces west.|
|Hebhouse4||South side of Hebbe house. Visible on the east side is the original structure, later turned into a kitchen and a bathroom. A lean-to porch was attached to the south (kitchen) side of the original structure. Partly visible in the tall grass are parts of a stove. Its size and "pot belly" shape suggests its primary use was for heating the home, not for cooking.|
|Hebhouse5||Interior view of Hebbe house's living room, the southwest corner of the structure.|
|Hebhouse6||Interior of Hebbe house's living room, viewed through a gaping hole that was once a window in the south wall of the house.|
|Hebhouse7||East side of Hebbe house. Near-total collapse of original house has pulled it away from the larger addition constructed later.|
|Hebhouse8||Hebbe house, viewed from the southeast. Remains of eave on east side of roof mark where the larger structure was joined to the original 12' x 20' house built in 1894.|
|Hebhouse9||At some point in the Hebbe house's history, the northwest portion of the original 1894 structure eventually became a bathroom.|
|Hebhouse10||View of Hebbe house, looking east, showing buildings added by later owners of the land.|
|Hebhouse11||Cellar located a few yards east of Hebbe house. It is not known whether the concrete structure dates to Hebbe's ownership, but some type of cellar was desirable for food storage and "hidey holes" in bad weather.|
|Hebhouse12||Potter (Oklahoma) Church. This building is a short distance south of the Hebbe house. It is virtually all that survives of the community named for Lida Potter, sister-in-law of W. C. Hebbe. A homesteader who claimed her land by making the Cherokee Outlet run of '93 on horseback, she was the town's first postmistress.|
|Hebhouse13||Contemporary view of the extension of the house, facing west. The original photo is very faded.|
|Hebhouse14||We feel this picture was taken Christmas 1897. The girls are holding the dolls received as presents and Walter is showing off his new wagon. This is the original house which faced south. From left to right: Irene, Leola, Georgia, W. C., Mattie and Walter.|